Depending on your preferences in comfort and support, different mattress types will be best for you. Whether you're looking for support, pressure relief, or a bed that will serve you and your partner's preferences, American Mattress has what you’re looking for. However, we understand that choosing a mattress type can be overwhelming, so our sleep experts are here to help you make an informed choice for your next mattress.
Which One is Best for You?
There are many mattress types available to choose from, and it can be difficult to know which one would be best for you. That’s why American Mattress sleep experts have compiled information to better explain the differences among mattress types, so you never experience a restless night again.
If you’re looking for a mattress that will provide pressure relief, explore our options of memory foam mattresses. With a design that molds to your body and accommodates the exact way you sleep, memory foam mattresses are ideal for combination sleepers. Choose from a variety of comfort levels, ranging from ultra-plush to ultra-firm. Additional memory foam mattress features include:
- Regardless of your sleeping position, memory foam mattresses react to your movement without disrupting your partner.
- Memory foam mattresses are soft and supportive to alleviate pressure point pain.
- Even support your entire body, contouring your curves and keeping your spine aligned.
An Inner Spring mattress is a great option if you’re looking for more support in your mattress. Inner spring mattresses utilize a traditional core support system made of metal springs. For back and stomach sleepers, this design can alleviate back pain. Inner spring mattresses provide the widest variety of comfort options and have mattresses at every price point to meet any budget. More features available with inner spring mattresses include:
- Inner spring mattresses are affordable and adaptable to your individual needs.
- A variety of inner spring mattress topper options to provide individualized support.
- Soft, supportive, and highly adaptable to your individual needs.
Hybrid mattresses blend support with cushion to provide comfort that will satisfy a variety of sleep positions, and priorities. Due to the combination of features from memory foam and inner spring mattresses, hybrid mattresses are a great option for couples with different sleep preferences. Hybrid mattresses are available in a variety of brands, comfort levels, and price ranges. Additional features available with Hybrid mattresses include:
- For people who struggle with back pain, a hybrid mattress can provide stability to keep your back aligned without compromising softness.
- Available in soft memory foam, gel memory foam, and an inner spring system.
- Hybrid mattresses offer the contouring technology of a memory foam mattress and the strong support of an inner spring mattress.
Pillow top mattresses are designed with an inner spring or memory foam base, and then provide an additional layer of quilted padding for added softness and comfort. Pillow top mattresses are ideal for side sleepers and people who have a preference for plush mattresses. Pillow top mattresses are soft, plush, and come in a variety of brands and price ranges. More features of pillow top mattresses include:
- Pillow top mattresses retain less heat on the top layer, resulting in a cooler sleeping experience
- The extra layer of plush, quilted material provides exceptional softness.
- The supportive design of pillow top mattresses alleviates pressure point pain.
Mattress in a Box
Life can be hectic, but a mattress in a box is a great solution for online shoppers with an active lifestyle! Mattresses in a box are constructed entirely of foam and are compressed and rolled, rather than shipping flat. Mattresses in a box are available in an assortment of brands, comfort styles, and materials! Additional mattress-in-a-box features include:
- Mattress in a Box is compressed and vacuum-sealed to be a fraction of the size of a usual mattress.
- Available in a variety of thicknesses, including 14-inch, 11-inch, and 6.5-inch.
- When your mattress in a box arrives, simply unpack from the box, roll it out and allow it to reach its full shape and comfort.
This versatile furniture piece makes the most of a guest room, office, or living room. Wherever you place your futon, you get a couch and a bed. It converts between sofa and mattress functionalities, making the room more presentable when not used as a sleep space. It’s a great solution for adding more sleeping spots to your home if you don’t have space for a full-time bed.
- Typically available in full or queen sizes
- Flexible so it can bend between couch position and bed position
- Available in a variety of styles and comforts
If you’re concerned with your health and/or the environment, a natural mattress is the perfect option for you to rest peacefully at night. Made of natural materials like cotton, wool, latex, etc. they have less of a harmful impact on our land when they reach the end of their life. They break down better than foam and so they don’t sit around in landfills as long as foam does. The lack of chemical applications and foam mixtures also is a plus for your health. It ensures that you are not breathing in anything harmful from your mattress as you sleep, and can be very beneficial to those who suffer from allergies.
- Eco friendly and hypoallergenic
- Non-toxic and free of chemicals
- Materials may include cotton, steel (coils), wool, latex
- Naturally breathable, fire resistant, and supportive
Find Your Next Mattress at American MattressAt American Mattress, we will work with you to find a mattress and furniture that will provide you with ultimate comfort and relaxation. Whether you are unsure of when to get a new mattress, if another bed would better serve you, or even how to clean your mattress, American Mattress is here to help. For more information from our sleep experts, stop by one of our locations, or call 1-800-TO-DREAM.
Mattress Type FAQs
Memory foam is an open-cell solid structure created by feeding gas into a polymer matrix. This mattress type offers a supportive and forming feel by matching pressure applied against it.
An innerspring mattress uses a steel coil support system covered by padding or upholstery materials, including various foams, fiber, and even additional layers of smaller steel springs.
Memory Foam mattresses are commonly recommended for anyone suffering from back pain.
Hybrid mattresses often feature a soft memory foam layer, gel memory foam layer, and an innerspring system.
A pillow-top mattress is constructed with an innerspring or memory foam base with an extra layer of quilted padding for added softness and comfort.
A mattress in a box is a compressed mattress that's vacuum-sealed to be a fraction of the size of a usual mattress.
No, we offer a wide variety of mattresses in a box in an array of materials, sizes, and thickness including 14-inch, 11-inch, and 6.5-inch.
Pillow-top and several memory foam mattresses offer soft comfort. You’ll find a wide selection of soft comfort mattresses to choose from including the Eclipse Noble Pillow Top Mattress, Ortho-Pedic Supreme, Serta Brookton Plush, and more.
Foam, innerspring, and hybrid mattresses all feature brands offering several support options. Ask about the new Ortho-Pedic Ultra, AM 8" Memory Foam Mattress, and various Nectar Mattresses.
Foam and innerspring mattresses all feature brands offering several support options. From Ortho-Pedic Firm and Gold Bond Cambridge Firm Mattress to the Beautyrest Deerwood Firm Mattress and Sealy Impeccable Grace Firm Mattress, we offer a wide selection of firm mattresses for you to choose from.
- Juliana Huhta